Sunday

Ferritins: A family of molecules for iron storage, antioxidation and more

Ferritins are characterized by highly conserved three-dimensional structures similar to spherical shells, designed to accommodate large amounts of iron in a safe, soluble and bioavailable form. They can have different architectures with 12 or 24 equivalent or non-equivalent subunits, all surrounding a large cavity. All ferritins readily interact with Fe(II) to induce its oxidation and deposition in the cavity in a mineral form, in a reaction that is catalyzed by a ferroxidase center. This is an anti-oxidant activity that consumes Fe(II) and peroxides, the reagents that produce toxic free radicals in the Fenton reaction. The mechanism of ferritin iron incorporation has been characterized in detail, while that of iron release and recycling has been less thoroughly studied. Generally ferritin expression is regulated by iron and by oxidative damage, and in vertebrates it has a central role in the control of cellular iron homeostasis. Ferritin is mostly cytosolic but is found also in mammalian mitochondria and nuclei, in plant plastids and is secreted in insects. In vertebrates the cytosolic ferritins are composed of H and L subunit types and their assembly in a tissues specific ratio that permits flexibility to adapt to cell needs. The H-ferritin can translocate to the nuclei in some cell types to protect DNA from iron toxicity, or can be actively secreted, accomplishing various functions. The mitochondrial ferritin is found in mammals, it has a restricted tissue distribution and it seems to protect the mitochondria from iron toxicity and oxidative damage. The various functions attributed to the cytosolic, nuclear, secretory and mitochondrial ferritins are discussed.

Arosio P, Ingrassia R, Cavadini P.
Dipartimento Materno Infantile e Tecnologie Biomediche, Università di Brescia, and A.O. Spedali Civili, Brescia, Italy

1 comment:

TRISHA NELSON said...

Herpes is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cured through drugs or injections by an American doctors but the best way to cure Herpes virus is by taking natural herbal mixed medicine for permanent treatment.I'm here to appreciate Dr James for using his herbal medicine to cure my herpes virus. Is about 3 years and 6 months now I have been living with this virus inside of me and it have really really been a serious problem to me, I was so confused because I have been taking several drugs and injections to be cured but all of my effort was in vain, one morning I was browsing the internet then I saw several testimonies about Dr James herbal mix medicine, curing people from herpes virus / HIV AIDS and Immediately I contacted Dr James on his email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com. I told him about my problems and he tells me that I must be cured. He gave me instructions which I rightly followed, so he prepared his herbal mixed medicine and sent it to me through UPS SPEED POST, which I used (MORNING AND EVENING) for 2 weeks and I was cured. everything was like a dream to me and my herpes virus was permanently cured. Dr James thank you, if out here suffering from herpes virus or any KIND OF diseases LIKE... HIV/AIDS, DIABETES, CANCER,RECTUM EFFECTS, BOWEL OBSTRUCTION, HERPES, HEPATITIS A&B, CARDIAC DISEASES, CHRONIC DISEASES, YELLOW FEVER, EPILEPSY, LUPUS, STROKE, SPINAL CORD, ECZEMA, KIDNEY DISEASES, ACME, BACK PAIN, DENGUE SCHIZOPHRENIA, APOLLO,MULTIPLES SCLEROSIS, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, VAGINAL DISCHARGING, ARTHRITIS, MENINGITIS itchy' contact.Doctor James and be free from your diseases because I am a living testimony, Dr James, is honest herbalist doctor, he is also known as the Great herbal cure master for herbal root. Contact him now via his email: (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com) (whatsapp or call him on +2348152855846